Wednesday, September 30, 2009

NKOTB or Fulfilling My Biological Imperative


"Biological imperatives are the needs of living organisms required to perpetuate their existence: to survive. Included are the following hierarchy of logical imperatives for a living organism: Survival, territorialism, competition, reproduction, quality-of-life-seeking, group-forming."- Wikipedia.
Gotta love science. To me he is a miracle. Period. I never thought I'd be able to have a child. In my younger days I'd thought about it as one does and assumed It'd be easy when the time came to procreate and pass on the love and traditions I was raised on. Years of frustration, pain, anger and sadness passed. Until I was in my doctors asking for a tubal ligation- not knowing I was sitting there pregnant at the time. I had finally given up hope and resigned myself to the fact I'd be childless. Yet, there I was- 10 days later taking a pregnancy test and falling off my chair at the results. (NOTE: 5 days after finding out I was pregnant, I fell off a step and broke my foot. LMAO! Talk about good luck! "Break a leg!") Then full of fear at the thought of repeating past results. One Amnio later and I got the news I had prayed for- No abnormalities and My child was a boy! AMA and diabetic, I managed to keep him and myself safe. Life has a way, yes? And here is mine. My beautiful son made it through the impossible and dangerous and into life. Incredible, amazing, beautiful, awe inspiring. My imperative.

No comments: